Welcome
Welcome to Ranger Dave's Place

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

soushore yota

lets see what ya got

Moderator: soushoreguy

soushore yota

Postby soushoreguy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:17 am

well, it's here, it's mine, and i love it. the wife approves too. the 4x4 is better than i thought, but some manual hubs are going to be high on the list so the front end isn't turning in 2hi

even has a hitch and the ball platform is the correct height for my Boler

inside is nice and clean, and the manual shift transfer case is always a plus

and the mighty 22R:

on sunday i'm picking up this canopy, it's a great price, and it'll even work well with the colour of the truck. comes with clamps too:
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicle ... dZ86614676

I's happy :rockon:
I'm a 2wheel kind of guy now...

2009 Kawasaki Super Sherpa (KL250)

Modded carb, custom luggage racks, Givi hard luggage, 14 tooth front sprocket....76 mpg!

coming soon - New tires, and some off-road camping adventures!

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Re: soushore yota

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:29 am

looks nice. looks like it was undercoated??
THE TRACTOR,BUILT MY WAY NOT BOUGHT
86 Ranger,D35/8.8,456's all locked,1350/Np205 doubler(83.3crawl), extended raidus arms,2.9/5spd,4in lift, sitting on 33 MK's

WELCOME TO RANGER DAVES PLACE
Dave
Site Admin

Highscores: 2

Postby soushoreguy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:37 am

it's been undercoated every year since 1991. that **** is thick

Modded carb, custom luggage racks, Givi hard luggage, 14 tooth front sprocket....76 mpg!

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:42 am

oil undercoat?? looks like it has a lift??
86 Ranger,D35/8.8,456's all locked,1350/Np205 doubler(83.3crawl), extended raidus arms,2.9/5spd,4in lift, sitting on 33 MK's

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:59 am

i don't know what kind of undercoat it is, but it's like tar. no lift, that's how they are and with 30" tires stock.

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Bucky » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:01 am

you should see what it came with for gears, many had 4.10's factory. that thing is clean, nice find!
Bucky

Postby soushoreguy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:55 pm

yep, just confirmed my axle code, I have the 8" rear with 4.10. this thing is a tank - 4l 1n first at idle you can walk faster than it.

lovin the 4 cyl, just putts right along.

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:35 pm

gerat for 4wheelin. just putt

Dave
Site Admin

Postby Tex62 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:49 am

love those trucks. Been having a hard time finding one 4wd with the 22r in any kind of shape.
Mike
The TJ
Tex62

Postby soushoreguy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:38 am

or, maybe you guys could bring your funny looking toyotas up here! i think dave said it's only 400 miles or so. I can also take a ferry to Maine.... we might wheel together someday... I mentioned that to the wife, could be a fun vacation if we brought the Boler and the pups and i could visit some friends along the way. she's game, but probably not this summer.

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:04 pm

got my canopy today. not too shibabby for $160. the top has been repaired with fiberglass patch in 4 spots, looks like they had a roof rack on it. it was repaired and painted fairly well. window tint is kind of ghetto...

the black cap doesn't even look too out of place i think anyway...

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 pm

thats looks fine,your only gonna use it for the winter right??

Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:10 pm

i just noticed that the rear springs arent saggin like the ones around here

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:15 pm

no, probably going to leave it on 99% of the time. I need a place to put my dogs, and i am against just sticking them in the back, open top. I'll take it off if i gotta haul something big, or if i'm going on a super duper wheeling expedition - even then it'd be handy to sleep in if you had to.

and the rear springs, i have a receipt, they were replaced 3 years ago - not re-arc, replaced. this thing has been babied, ANY thing went wrong or wore out, it went to the stealership. they put a new exhaust on it last month....FROM THE DEALER$$HIP!! it's got $400 worth of OEM exhaust parts!!

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:19 pm

sounds like you got a real good deal :icon_thumby: :icon_cheers:

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:05 pm

I'm playing with the idea of building a storage compartment / sleeping surface in the back. i would rarely use it for sleeping, but if the right wheeling expedition presented itself, i'd be cozy. for the most part I'd have storage, and the dogs would still have room. it's be taller in mine, cause of the high rise cap, but this is something i'm looking at. : http://www.yotatech.com/f129/sleeping-p ... cks-83758/

I wouldn't do the battery, and i would skip the inverter. I'm also toying with the ides of not using plastic bins, but a couple of drawers with high sides on HD ballbearing slides. could keep alot of gear stowed away here, still have room for the pups, and a comfy sleeping berth if ya needed it.

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:27 pm

looks like you would be banging your head alot :icon_rofl: also looks like alot of xtra weight. how bout something like this

http://maine.craigslist.org/pts/1025050362.html

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:42 pm

truck tent? no. I'd have to take the cap off to use the truck tent!! I'm really only considering this because it'd let me haul and stow gear, and also bring the dogs and have them stay out of the gear. (they're bad). I could also have recovery tools, dry clothes, camp supplies, axe, shovel, high lift, tools, food, mexicans, and still have a generous amount of flat useable cargo room. I'd probably never plan to sleep in it maybe once a year, like on an overnight wheeling expedition, planned or not, but for the most part, i camp in my boler....but with the jacks hanging down on the boler, and the 12 inch tires, it doesn't even like potholes or speed bumps.

i'd consider one of those maggiolina tents (http://www.autohomecanada.com/file_gb/m ... nture.html) if i were planning to sleep in it alot, but this is mainly to strike a balance of usable thoughtful convenient cargo capability, and comfort of my pups.

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:07 pm

its still a good idea

Dave
Site Admin

Postby Bucky » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:17 pm

anything new to report? i love yota's. :rockon:
Bucky

Postby soushoreguy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:10 am

well, not much exciting...

3 days after i got it the check engine light (CEL) came on. :pissedoff: so, toyota decided to incorporate an on board diagnostic program into the ecu. open the hood, jump terminals e1 and te1 in the diagnostic connector, turn the key, and count how many times the cel flashes. these are the codes. so i got a 21, which is open heater circuit, oxygen sensor, and code 43, which is no STA signal to computer until 800 rpm. the 43 is troublesome, it means the engine started without the ecu knowing. checked all the wiring, and all that, all is good. i discovered that the sta signal and the 02 circuit share the same E1 ground, so they could be related.

tested the old o2 sensor, was suppoed to get 5.1-6.3 ohms of resistance, NONE! this thing was totally hooped.

got the new o2 sensor, can't get the old one off. the pipe has a flat spot and 2 studs coming out. the sensor has a flat plate and 2 nuts hold it on. rusted to hell, pb blasted it for 3 days, the nuts and the studs desintegrated. cut the pip, brought it inside....

so the new sensor unscrews from the plate, so i separated the two. i grond off the old studs and took the old sensor off. to my suprise the metal here was in great shape, so i welded the plate on. I also checked the cat, she was clogged to ****, so i got a piece of rebar and a 3 pound sledge. it breathes better. :biggrin: slapped her back together with a coupler and some clamps where i cut it, and ba da bing no cel, and she runs better. the code 43 went away too. must have been related.

it ain't pretty but it works and doesn't leak. :icon_thumby: :icon_welder:

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby phatdaddy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:25 pm

the force is strong with this one....you have done well my son . :icon_welder:
When all else fells , kick it and go to the left!!!!
phatdaddy

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:05 pm

i don't take **** from my vehicles....especially the japanese...

believe it or not I prefer to work on imports. I've had about 6 vw's, some nissans, a rwd corolla, a subaru, and now this yota. I loves the japanese vehicles, i just find them easier to work on. i tweaked the bdeuce, but like anything you're not used to, you can learn new things.

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:35 pm

welp, got my 32's tonight. my brother in law brought em by tonight. I got 4 goodyear wrangler mt/r with 75% tread for 250....gotta love family deals. they're still on his jeep rims, so i gotta get em dismounted and mounted on my yota rims. (5 bolt vs. 6) pics tomorrow....along with pics of me molesting my leafs with ford parts, new rear shocks, and a slight torsion bar crank, as i'm convinced the rear is going to elevate a bit.

the front torsions are sagging. factory ride height is 14" from top of rim to lower lip of fender, drivers' is at 13.5 and pass is at 13. (could be why it's pulling to the right a lil) gonna crank em both up to 14 (ish).

then if i have time i'm gonna drive to mahone bay to pick up my new to me CB. bought a cobra with microphone and whip antenna for $30.

I'll also get a pic of the 1600 lbs of tiles I had in there the other day, and the 1200 lbs of tiles i got in there right now....that i have to unload by hand.... :damnit1:

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Bucky » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:11 pm

cool man! MT/R's are great, just watch the wear though. cant wait to see it all spiffed up :icon_thumby:
Bucky

Postby soushoreguy » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:17 pm

well i've lost the battle, but not the war. I got it all back together, except i need new u-bolts. nobody in the next two towns has the right ones for me. there's a place on monday that might have em (closed weekends... douchebags), and there's a garage everyone praises for making them. so it's still on jackstands, all together just not bolted up. in the end i decided not to add the overload from the ranger, but just used the main leaf with the ends cut off as the 3rd leaf in my now 5 leaf pack. I think it may lift it a bit.... it's awfully stiff compared to the 2nd leaf on the yota. I didn't touch the front yet, (and still may not) and didn't get around to taking my 32's to be mounted. I also didn't get my shocks changed. shitty deal today... looks like i'll be waiting till monday night to get it all bolted up. :nopityA:

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:10 pm

did you take a bumpa measurement before??

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:03 am

nope.

hey quick question, something that's been bugging me. on the yota there is like a cradle for a spring perch, top and bottom, that the ubolts go on. inside there are some rubber pads between the leaf pack and the cradles. do I need these? b2 didn't have any rubber between the leaf and the perch... here's a pic to describe the cradle thing:

on top of the leaf, the cradle with the bump stop, and the axle perch is molded like a cradle and also has these rubber pads.

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:14 am

my fairlane had them. it doesnt now. when i took them off they were packed with dirt.

Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:26 am

taken from another site
---------------------------

I got a 9" out of a late 50's car (dont know what it was, i didnt pull it) for my 64. I bought moroso spring perches and made my own spring plates. 1/4" flat bar with some gussets between the ubolt holes for extra strength, and i put tabs on the rear end for new shock mounts rather than having them on the plate. I completely eliminated the rubber insulator around the spring, i think its only there for smoothing out the ride for a grocery getter car, and quite frankly i cant tell the difference.the whole setup worked out well. also redid all the leaf spring mounting points on the frame (the stock setup with the big washers in the boxed front mount is dumb) If you want some pictures, email m

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:43 am

yeah i think i'm gonna do away with em. I'd ask this question at a yota site, but they'd just tell me i was a noob, and the only way to lift the rear is with new 600 dollar leafs, and if i didn't know the answer to my question i shouldn't be modifying my suspension because i clearly don't have the mental fortitude....

I've seen em berate people with simple questions before. i'm going to omit the rubbers under and over the springs - **** it i've never seen em before. if anything taking them out will make things tighter.

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:51 am

ya dont see um here

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:04 pm

I think it's funny how i spent about 2 hours on saturday driving all over looking for u-bolts, and then monday i went to silvers' spring shop and watched my new u-bolts being made in about 3 minutes. the guy took longer looking for nuts and washers then it took him to make them. I handed him one of the old ones, he held it up to the light of a window, examining it as if he was a jeweler appraising an old ring. "toyota?" he said. I supposed i was in the right place. the funny part is that i didn't even know that place was there. four custom made grade 8 8 inch u-bolts, with washers and nuts came to 40.17 with tax. sweet. :icon_thumby:

well she's all together now, at least the springs are. it sits about an inch or so higher, and is stiff as hell. i can get one foot on the receiver hitch and try to bouce, the truck feels like it's still on the jackstands. flexes not too bad, but it's a stiff one. definitely made a difference load wise; i'm not worried about hitching the boler up anymore. i don't have any pics, but the camera is charging, I might have some later today. I didn't get the shocks on, nor did i get the tires mounted - probably thursday or friday. :headbang:

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:10 pm

when you make the storage thingy that will add some weight and take the stiffness out. might have to get longer shocks now

Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:21 pm

its sittin pretty high in this pic

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:04 pm

yeah you see in that pic the space between the front tire and the fender lip is larger than the rear? that is because the rear fender lip is lower. now that i molested the leafpack, the spaces are the same = a little rake in the stance.

that was cool when i got it, but then i put the canopy / cap on, and it sagged a lil, then i put anything inside and it squats. not now, boy. camera's almost charged...

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Bucky » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:46 pm

those rubbers are there to eliminate any squeeks. the yota gen. after yours had a recall on em, seen alot of em done.
Bucky

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:36 pm

yeah i took em out, like i always tells the ladies; it's better with no rubbers...

anyway, I got some pics!

here is 1200 pounds of tile:

these are my 32's:

here it is now with the spring job:

i'll have the 32's mounted up by the weekend. :yahoo:

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:39 pm

before:

after:

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:47 pm

the gap between the fender well and tire looks even. ride better with the cap on

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:07 pm

hey sorry i haven't been around, i lost my innernets for a week or so. pics coming. I got my 32's on, I got a second set of chrome rims with decent 90% tread all seasons offa kijiji, they're 235's which is stock size so i won't have to worry about fuel economy when we go on a trip or tow the boler, plus i won't wear out the wranglers pounding pavement. plus after i put the 32's on i pretty much lost 5th gear priviledge 4th gear at 55mph i'm running 1500 rpm. 5th drops it down to about 1100 and dropping....so i drive at about 65 to use 5th :thefinger: although i worry about wearing down the knobbs.

pics tomorrow, it's raining like crazy here, my babbling brook is now 12 feet wide and threatening the strawberry patch!! oh well, spring in the maritimes with a watercourse on your property. maybe in the fall from now on we'll set out a row or two of sandbags... neighbors confirmed it floods up every year.

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:27 am

well i got some pics finally of the 32's on. there was absolutely no rubbins, it's like these tires were meant to go on this truck. we got a suprise this morning, looks like the rain decided to change to snow. and i was planning on having the winter tires taken off the yaris today... guess i'll wait a week...

so here it is with my new 32 foot ladder i picked up yesterday...it's a recovery tool - to get out of the deep mudholes so i can walk home :headbang:

and they don't stick out much, just enough to sling mud down the side

got my CB mounted where the asstray used to live. couldn't have worked out better:

I've decided i'm not going to touch the t-bars in the front because i don't need to. tires clear everything, and i like the ride so why bother.

got my boler out, that's why it snowed. going to get it ready, do some misc. electrical, fix the furnace etc. i had it tucked behind the shop, so i had to sneak it between the two buildings. it was tight, but it was no problem for the mighty bolens!

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:39 am

tires fit nice,the lil camper looks like a old air stream. that a ford tractor?

Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:41 am

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:25 am

yup it's an fmc bolens. basically, mr. bolens had an idea to make little tractors for the homeowner, but had no funds. he took his prototype to henry ford, and ford said, yes, i'll produce this little tractor for you. over the years bolens became it's own identity, before merging with iseki, become iseki-bolens, and then merging with ariens, becoming ariens bolens. now it's owned by mtd, and doesn't make bolens tractors anymore.

the trailer is a 1973 boler. all fiberglass, weighs 900 lbs dry from the factory. ours tips the scales at 1250, but it's been modified with a new frame, and a heavier torsion "rubba-ride" axle, also the interior has been modified quite a bit. only 10,000 original bolers were ever made - that's why they cost so friggin much. we bought it for 3800 - a real steal, even though it's modified and not original so the purists don't want it. we were offered 5 grand for it at a gas station last year. it's got a queen size bed, a dinette which is like a booth at a restaurant that seats 4 with a table, a couch that the back flips up to bunk beds, and a full galley - 3 burner stove, sink, 3 way fridge etc. also a small forced air coleman propane furnace. it may only be 13 feet long, but you can tow it with anything, and stand up straight in it, and stretch out fully on the bed, also being warm and dry and not sleeping on the ground is a beautiful thing

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:28 am

that's funny, a '67 bolens towing a 73 boler

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:32 am

thats a 67 bolens??? got the hood?? looks to be in nice shape

Dave
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:42 am

yeah i got the hood, but the new engine is way bigger than the old wisconsin. I could put the hood on, but i just can't bring myself to cut the sheetmetal to make it fit around the hood. the hood is flawless. i swapped out the old wiscanson 10 horse for a 13 horse ohv honda clone. this is a tractor, not a lawnmower. it's all cast iron and has a horizontal shaft engine, not a vertical. front mid and rear pto with 3 point hitch. the rear end and gearbox are one piece, with 3 forward one reverse, also a high/low splitter. i towed that 1250 pound trailer in first low at an idle, never skipped a beat. rear end also has an adjustable limited slip, and won't freewheel - you have to pull a pin to push it. this way there is no need for a brake, you push in the clutch and it comes to a stop. i'm tempted to make a front end loader for it.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_9lEwPuiQs
the one in that video is smaller than mine.

at the farm exhibitions around here, there are mini tractor pulls...tempting...

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:51 am

here's a few pics with the little tires and chrome rims i got off kijiji for $250 tires are almost brand new!!

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby atoybbacs » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:12 pm

Good looking yota you got. :icon_thumby:
atoybbacs

Postby soushoreguy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:30 am

:word: hey thanks man. it was a little pricey, but i think it was a steal of a deal considering how many of em are rusted out around here. she's by no means finished yet either. you gonna post up some pics of yours? i love the earlier generation

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby soushoreguy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 am

I do apologize to everyone, for not being around much. I've been lacking in my duties as moderator, and i'm sorry to disappear, dave.

I had to sell the yota. I got what i paid for it, so i'm not too concerned. I took it in for it's semi-annual safety inspection, and the list was not good. I fixed what needed to be fixed to comply, and turned it into someone else's problem.

there was bondo over top of duct tape on the floor under the seats!!

bought a GM van from a contractor, going to start up a drywall business, there's a bit of a demand for it in my area, and it's what i do, so why not?

I'm buying a dirtbike, if I don't have a 4x4, I have to get into the woods somehow!!!

soushoreguy
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:35 pm

no need to apologize, aint been no one around really. dry wall huh, i tried that once.

Dave
Site Admin

Return to Members rides